How Can LED Lights Save Energy and Money?
Nowadays, it is difficult to remember the time before the emergence of energy efficient LED light bulbs. Do you remember those incandescent bulbs? This was invented in 1879-more than 140 years ago, before the emergence of energy efficient LED light bulbs, incandescent lamps were our only choice, and only 5% of the total energy consumed by them was displayed in the form of light. What about the remaining 95%? All this is due to the heat emitted by these bulbs.
The invention of energy efficient LED light bulbs completely changed the energy landscape. On average, they use at least 75% less energy than incandescent lamps and have a life span of about 25 times.
1. What are energy efficient LED light bulbs and why are they better?
LED stands for light-emitting diode-its basic term refers to a semiconductor that emits light when an electric current passes through it. LEDs can have multiple colors, but for white LEDs, it is a combination of red, blue, and green light.
LEDs are more energy efficient than incandescent or compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs (the predecessor of LEDs). LED energy-saving lamps produce very little heat, and unlike CFL, it does not contain mercury.
Their service life is also longer-up to thousands of hours. The specific numbers vary by company and bulb, but LEDs can last 50,000 hours on average. This is 50 times longer than incandescent lamps and 8 to 10 times longer than CFL.
2. What is the cost of energy efficient LED light bulbs?
It is not as much as you think. LEDs are similar to solar panels, and when new technologies appear on the market, they usually operate at a higher cost. Nowadays, 8-piece LED lights can be purchased for about $10. The price of each bulb is slightly more than $1, which is roughly the same as the price of an incandescent lamp.
3. Are LED lights energy-saving?
Absolutely, it is energy saving. Just replace the 5 most commonly used lamps (yes, only 5) in your home with energy efficient LED light bulbs, and you can save a lot every year.
Now, imagine if all the lighting sources in the home were replaced with energy efficient LED light bulbs. Although replacing every light bulb in the home requires a large upfront cost, how many years the light bulbs can last depends on how often they are used.
This may be equivalent to saving hundreds of dollars in electricity bills and doing nothing except replacing a few light bulbs in the house. It's easy, isn't it